Director of Graduate Alumni Engagement
Willamette UniversitySalem, OR
The Director of Graduate Alumni Engagement reports to the Associate Vice President of University Relations and works closely with the Deans of the College of Law and the Atkinson Graduate School of Management.
The Director provides vital leadership for all aspects of graduate alumni engagement, pairing data driven best-practice strategies with the art of relationship-based engagement. The Director will develop and execute a comprehensive strategy to engage alumni to catalyze the culture of engagement at the College of Law and the Atkinson Graduate School of Management, building, nurturing and strengthening relationships with key members of the Willamette community, resulting in life-long engagement with and support of the graduate programs. The Director is responsible for increasing the engagement of graduate alumni and will report on the regular progress of engagement strategies through the development of strategic engagement metrics.
The Director is an effective communicator, serving as a voice on behalf of the university and its graduate programs. The Director will travel widely for alumni engagement purposes.
- Works to ensure that Advancement graduate engagement goals and strategies are aligned with graduate school deans and key staff partners.
- Develops annual and multi-year engagement goals for both graduate schools, producing plans and strategies that marshal resources toward achieving stated goals informed and measured regularly by data.
- Cultivates and stewards strong partnerships with the Directors of Development in the Atkinson Graduate School of Management and College of Law in the implementation of strategic engagement operations.
- Develops a strong partnership with Willamette Annual Fund and other Advancement staff to ensure thoughtful coordination between offices.
- Identifies, develops, implements and sustains programs and activities that best serve the graduate schools and effectively meet the identified needs of the Willamette graduate alumni community. These include regional activities, continuing education opportunities, networking, robust volunteer roles, etc.
- In partnership with communications colleagues, helps to coordinate and contribute to regular and special alumni communications to graduate school alumni.
- Effectively manages projects and resources, directing program improvement, standardizing office systems and procedures to accomplish projects and tasks.
- Manages, maintains and effectively stewards the departmental budget.
- Responds to constituent outreach in a timely, helpful and appropriate fashion.
- Brings and implements a strong understanding of best practice and how to appropriately redefine said practices in a changing industry.
- Works closely with the Deans, Vice President of Advancement, the Associate Vice President of University Relations and the Senior Associate Director of Alumni & Parent Engagement to identify opportunities and build strategic partnerships, both within the campus community and with constituents beyond campus. This includes building strong partnerships within the division of Advancement.
- In coordination with the Deans and in partnership with Advancement staff, identifies and implements a comprehensive graduate school alumni engagement strategy and creates metrics for success, both for the program and for the Director.
- In conjunction with database administrators, coordinates the collection of constituency engagement data on a consistent and continual basis.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Two years related work experience required. Experience in higher education advancement with a clear understanding of graduate school alumni (with emphasis placed on law and/or management) and their needs, strongly preferred.
- Proven record of leadership.
- Personal initiative and an ability to manage projects simultaneously, to set priorities and follow-through on projects. Must be energetic, self-motivated and work with minimal supervision. A strong sense of humor is appreciated.
- Strategic thinker who is creative and willing to think beyond traditional boundaries.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Outstanding work organization and time management skills.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends and travel.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively motivate, train and support volunteers.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment – with a mix of administrative leadership, faculty, alumni and staff colleagues. Excellent interpersonal skills and a strong customer service orientation. Is a strong collaborator, seeking partnership and input at all levels.
- Possess a strong commitment to Willamette’s mission and to the importance of Willamette’s relationships with its constituencies. Knowledge of Willamette and its graduate programs is an asset.
- Must be able to maintain a high level of confidentiality regarding sensitive materials and information.
- Experience in higher education advancement with a clear understanding of graduate school alumni and their needs, strongly preferred.
- Preferred knowledge of modern data management practices and techniques including data-based computerized information systems, data modeling, and models of analysis that leads to effective decision making on behalf of the program.
Instructions for Applicants:
Please read the following carefully before beginning the online application process.
You will need to upload the following two documents as part of your application materials in the “My Experience” section:
- Cover letter addressing the required/desired qualifications and presenting any other applicant characteristics which deserve emphasis
- Current Resume
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Attention Current Employees: In order to apply for posted positions, please close this window and log into your Workday account and apply through the Career worklet.
To be considered for employment at Willamette University, please complete our online employment application. Your application and all required attachments — listed at the bottom of the page — must be submitted for each individual job post that you are interested in applying for. If there is an application deadline, please ensure that your application is submitted by the deadline. Once you submit your application you will not be able to edit your application.
Please click here to apply willamette.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.
- Next s