Assistant Director of Development for Leadership Gifts
Virginia TechBlacksburg, VA
The Assistant Director of Development for Leadership Gifts will assist the Chief Advancement Officer for the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences in carrying out the designated duties and responsibilities of the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences development programs, including Virginia Cooperative Extension development programs. This highly motivated professional will be involved with the planning and implementation of the College’s fund raising efforts in support of current operations, endowment, and other capital purposes from all private sources, with a leadership emphasis on annual gifts and new donor acquisition. He/She will fulfill the duties under the direction of the College’s Chief Advancement Officer and in close cooperation with the University’s central development office.
The Assistant Director of Development for Leadership Gifts will develop and cultivate relationships with a portfolio of approximately 250 prospects while soliciting current use gifts in the range of $5K-$100K. The Assistant Director of Development for Leadership Gifts will provide assistance to ensure timely donor stewardship of annual gifts. S/he will be will be deeply involved in the fundraising efforts in support of current operations and endowment from all private sources, with emphasis on new donor acquisition and growing out the new 1872 Society leadership gifts program.
Nationally ranked among the top institutions of its kind, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS) focuses on the science and business of living systems through learning, discovery both on campus and across our network of agricultural research and extension centers. We engage the citizens of the Commonwealth and beyond through the Virginia Cooperative Extension system which provides communication channels to help us understand and solve the real-world issues they face every day.
The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS) has come a long way since Virginia Tech’s modest beginnings as Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College in 1872. Through its land-grant mission of teaching, research, and Extension, the college has been instrumental in helping agriculture and other life-science industries make significant strides in improving people’s lives. Today’s college is adapting to society’s expectations and needs by focusing its resources and efforts on sustaining the four pillars for our shared future: Health, Food, Economy, and Environment. The college is improving human health and nutrition by providing nourishing and safe food for our local and global communities. We are building stronger communities with more vibrant economies, centered on the Virginia’s leading industry, agriculture. In the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, we are discovering and teaching how to be better stewards of the land, so that we will continue to provide an ever improving quality of life for the generations to come.
- Bachelor’s degree and experience, or Master’s degree.
- The successful candidate will show evidence of the ability to motivate volunteers and donors, will be self-motivated, and will embrace the concept and attitude of teamwork in a complex organization.
- Demonstrated written, oral and interpersonal communication skills and the ability to articulate the importance of higher education and understand and articulate the critical role and priorities of the university and the development program.
- Strong motivation and the proven ability to work well as a contributing team member within a complex organization requiring collaboration, teamwork and communication.
- A successful track record in gift fundraising, or equivalent sales experience and / or experience in cold calling.
- Demonstrated experience in relational database manipulation.
- Experience with office software applications such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook or similar programs.
- Preference for previous experience representing a higher education institution to external audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to relate to College of Agriculture and Life Sciences graduates and stakeholders as well as Virginia Cooperative Extension clientele.
- Preference for proven success in building productive, long-term relationships with senior administrators, key business leaders, faculty, staff, institutional boards, volunteers, and/or donors.
- Preference given to candidates with experience in higher education fundraising, university administration, legal/financial planning, arts organizations, or other related experience.
- Preference for previous experience representing Virginia Tech to external audiences.
Must have a criminal background check, Must have a driver’s license check, Must have an acceptable and safe driving record. Regional and national travel required for the purposes of conducting field research, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship, which may include overnights and weekends. Must have the ability and willingness to travel utilizing standard, commercial, and/or personal modes of transportation. Reports to the Chief Advancement Officer, CALS
How to Apply for this Job:
Interested candidates must apply online at www.jobs.vt.edu and search for posting # AP0180379. Include with the faculty application, a cover letter, resume, and list of five references. Individuals with disabilities desiring accommodation in the application process please notify the Human Resources Service Center, 540-231-9331, [email protected] A review of applications will begin after January 2, 2019.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement:
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement: If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech, founded in 1872 as a land-grant institution, is currently ranked as a Top 25 Public University by US News & World Report and a Top 25 Public Research University by the National Science Foundation. Through a combination of its three missions of learning, discovery, and engagement, Virginia Tech continually strives to accomplish the charge of its motto: Ut Prosim (That I May Serve). As the Commonwealth’s most comprehensive university and its leading research institution, Virginia Tech serves a diverse population of 30,000+ students and 8000+ faculty and staff from over 100 countries, and is engaged in research around the world. Invent the Future at Virginia Tech.
Please click here to apply listings.jobs.vt.edu.