Telefunding (Phonathon) Manager
Posted on 06/13/2018
University of San DiegoSan Diego, CA
The Annual Giving Telefunding Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the USD Annual Giving telefunding program and assists the senior director with other projects as assigned. The Manager will oversee telefunding operations, including: hiring of staff, interaction with Human Resources and Payroll, script writing, budget management, equipment maintenance, and statistical reporting. The manager supervises day-to-day activities of student callers and managers including providing ongoing training and motivational strategies. This position will manage scheduling to see that all call stations are filled each shift, working closely with the Offices of Development and Advancement Services to optimize list segmentation in accordance with the senior director. The manager will periodically review short- and long-range goals and re-evaluate overall productivity. When necessary, manager responds to constituent questions and concerns in a timely and appropriate manner. This position functions under the general guidance and direction of the senior director of Annual Giving and Stewardship. This position directly supervises approximately 35 student callers and 5 student managers.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
The responsibilities described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Recruit and hire students for USD’s Telefunding Center. Work with Human Resources as needed in the hiring of staff and maintenance of related paperwork. Create and maintain training materials and conduct training program each semester for prospective student callers as part of hiring process. Provide ongoing training and coaching for all callers.
- Direct and manage student managers and callers for each shift in call center.
- Create and implement an incentive program for student callers.
- Monitor data flow between SmartCall and Advance with regard to pledge entry and demographic updates. Monitor reporting output from SmartCall and distribute reports, as necessary, to senior director and others in USD development group.
- Review and apply year by year statistical data and based on those findings recommend appropriate segmentation strategy for each annual calling campaign.
- Work with each professional school’s director of development in scripting and segmenting for annual telefunding campaign to their alumni.
- Work with assistant director for School of Law Annual Giving in planning segmentation and scripting for School of Law telefunding program and provide statistical reports unique to the School of Law campaign.
- Coordinate pledge fulfillment program, including oversight of all annual giving pledge reminders.
- Serve as first-line of response for any constituent inquiries regarding USD telefunding efforts and effectively handles donor questions or concerns by phone or mail. Consults with director as needed.
Office, Budget and Systems Management
- Maintain and operate automated calling system including upgrades and integration with Advance.
- Research and troubleshoot through data systems, as necessary.
- Prepare weekly calling reports by project/segment, final reports as each campaign is completed, and annual analysis report comparing all projects/segments compared with previous years.
- Assist in creating and modifying reports from SmartCall and Advance, as needed.
- Maintain efficient filing system for calling staff and call center statistics.
- Maintain computers, dialers, headsets and all related equipment.
- Maintain inventory of office supplies and replaces supplies and parts in a timely manner.
- Coordinate pledge fulfillment program, including oversight of all initial and subsequent pledge reminders.
- Effectively handle donor questions and/or concerns by phone, mail or email (in consultation with senior director, as needed).
- Support assistant director in coordination of Senior Class Legacy program.
- Support Development with reunion class gift solicitation calling, when requested.
Professional Development/Other Responsibilities
- Responsible for keeping up to date with annual giving trends, especially in the area of phonathon management, through research and professional development opportunities.
- Assist senior director in long-range planning.
- Other duties as assigned by the senior director.
Qualifications, Minimum & Preferred:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Two years’ experience in annual giving/telemarketing or sales; managerial experience preferred.
- Ability to recruit, train, manage, motivate, and supervise Telefunding Center staff.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required as well as exceptional critical listening and thinking skills. Command of the English language, including AP writing style, and standard grammar, spelling, punctuation, syntax, and proofreading skill.
- Strong organizational and planning skills for balancing multiple campaigns and tasks.
- Strong computer skills (especially Microsoft Excel, Outlook and Word) and proficiency with donor database/prospect management systems is essential for success in this position.
- Must demonstrate strong analytical skills and superior attention to detail.
- Experience with budgetary management.
- Ability to handle confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Must be able to work independently, taking initiative and be able to ascertain priorities in a dynamic environment of regular interruptions, multiple projects, and deadlines.
- Must be friendly and personable.
Special Qualifications & Conditions of Employment:
- Weekend and evening work is required for telefunding shift supervision.
- From time to time, attendance will be required for purposes of professional development/training meetings, conferences, or volunteer committee meetings that relate to the work of this position.
- Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
- Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
How To Apply:
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at [email protected]
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
Please click here to apply usdebsprod.sandiego.edu.
- Next s