Assoc. Vice Chancellor for Advancement
University of North Carolina School of the ArtsWinston Salem, NC
The Office of Advancement is charged with increasing understanding and support among UNCSA’s key constituents including alumni and friends, members of the philanthropic and corporate community, and government policymakers. At this time, UNCSA is entering into a historic comprehensive campaign. This presents a fantastic opportunity for someone to expand upon the current annual giving program by broadening the reach of support for a school with a rich history of local community backing.
Description of Responsibilities and Duties
The Associate Vice Chancellor for Advancement develops, implements and manages the process of strategic discovery, research and identification of major donors as well as annual fund “pipelines”, and leads the development and execution of all actions to cultivate, solicit, recognize and renew these donors (both individual and foundation/institutional). As such, s/he is knowledgeable and experienced in “best practices” in higher education and/or in cultural organization Advancement and Development (such as donor-centric fundraising, moves management for major gifts, trustee engagement and effective donor communication).
The Associate Vice Chancellor for Advancement is a senior member of the University’s Advancement team and will work closely with the Vice Chancellor for Advancement, the Chancellor’s Cabinet, the Foundation Board, Board of Trustees and Board of Visitors, the Chancellor’s Office, deans and faculty to create and implement strategies to achieve University-wide goals via philanthropy and endowment growth. UNCSA’s Development Program has averaged an annual income of $10-18MM+ for the past 3 years
- In collaboration with the Vice Chancellor for Advancement, create and hold responsibility for implementing the annual development plan establishing vision, goals, strategies, as well as accountability metrics
- Actively engage with, manage, solicit and steward a portfolio of major gift donors and prospects, to be assigned in collaboration with the chief advancement officer
- Supervise major gifts officers, alumni relations manager, annual giving manager, donor relations and communications manager, special events manager, grand and special projects coordinator and database manager and campaign coordinator
- Hire, evaluate, and manage a highly effective team that works to advance the mission and vision of UNCSA though positive engagement leading to increased support for the School
- Determine metrics and activity targets for each member of the team in order to meet institutional goals; review, coach and guide team members while holding them individually and collectively accountable for meeting benchmarks
- Supervise and guide advancement’s research, cultivation, tracking, solicitation and recognition plans for all major gift prospects
- Oversee development program reporting and analysis for increased effectiveness
- Develop annual as well as multi-year work plans, budgets and goals for each area of development
- Serve as the primary liaison for the Board of Visitors, including planning all activities, recruitment and meeting annual fundraising goals for the board
- Serve as the primary coordinator for the Dean’s Councils, including reviewing the lists on a monthly basis, recruitment and renewals
- Support the Vice Chancellor for Advancement in overall advancement activities
- Help establish and maintain policies and procedures for effective and appropriate advancement operations
- Stay current on most effective methodologies and legislation related to fundraising practices
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Vice Chancellor for Advancement
- Seven to ten (7-10) years of fundraising experience in higher education and/or the non-profit, arts sector
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Significant and progressively responsible experience demonstrating a clear ability to develop and implement fundraising
- Master’s degree
- Demonstrated track record in arts-related fundraising
- Knowledge and passion for the performing and fine arts
- Strong communication skills
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Seven to ten (7-10) years of fundraising experience in higher education or the non-profit sector
- Experience managing a team of fundraisers
- A demonstrated and proven track record of successful major gifts solicitation
- Significant and progressively responsible experience demonstrating a clear ability to develop and implement fundraising strategies
- Demonstrated ability to work with high-level volunteers and donors
- Evidence of excellent written and oral communication skills
Special Instructions to Applicants
- This is an EHRA position.
- PLEASE NOTE: A criminal background check will be conducted on candidate finalist prior to the offer of employment.
- Resumes WILL NOT be accepted in lieu of completing an electronic application. The application must be competed in full detail (including work history) for your qualifications to be considered.
- Failure to complete the application process as required by state regulations WILL result in your application being rejected for the vacancy and you will not be considered for the position.
- Other materials may be requested at a later time.
- Applications will be treated confidentially until the final stages of the search process. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Please click here to apply employment.uncsa.edu.
- Next s