Director of Annual Giving
Southern Oregon UniversityAshland, OR
Reporting to the Vice President for Development/SOU Foundation Executive Director, the Director of Annual Giving will play a pivotal role in increasing philanthropic support of Southern Oregon University. This position requires a strategic leader with a vision for increasing the number of donors annually, improving retention percentages, and coordinating upgrade strategies to impact a growing philanthropic pipeline.
The Director provides leadership for SOU’s Annual Giving Program by developing and implementing a range of effective solicitation strategies, with particular attention to donor acquisition and retention of SOU alumni. This comprehensive strategy must maximize individual donor giving, with particular responsibility for increasing the number and size of gifts under $25,000.
Bachelor’s degree and five or more years of progressively responsible fundraising experience. Demonstrated success developing and executing annual giving initiatives. Energetic, creative, and resourceful with demonstrated initiative in seeking increased contributions. Excellent communication skills with proven ability to engage prospective donors in-person and in writing through articulate, compelling, and well-reasoned funding proposals. Exceptional organizational skills, with the ability to work on deadline and manage multiple assignments simultaneously. Proven record of working independently and as part of a team, demonstrating flexibility and the ability to achieve goals in tandem with project partners.
Experience working in a higher education setting. Strong analytical and budgeting skills. Experience with donor database software (RaisersEdge NXT). Ability to travel locally to meet with prospective donors.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Excellent communication skills; ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing information in a clear and understandable manner.
- Ability to collaborate particularly in the programs related to annual giving
- Knowledge of gift processing and stewardship policies and procedures, including IRS regulations. Organization, prioritization, judgment, discretion and problem-solving skills.
- A comprehensive understanding of Annual Giving program as a functional area, including gift processing, stewardship, donor relations, and customer service
- Ability to work under pressure in a thorough, organized, calm, and detail-oriented manner.
- Understanding of the confidential nature of fund raising efforts and donor information.
- Demonstrated customer service experience requiring a very high level of diplomacy and professionalism to effectively handle a broad range of sensitive interpersonal situations.
- Ability to work with a high level of productivity and accuracy/attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to initiate, establish, and foster communication and teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work atmosphere in and outside the University with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within a diverse population and with those from various cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to adapt to and work effectively in a heavily bureaucratic environment which requires regular interaction with a number of levels within the organization.
- Working knowledge, or ability to quickly learn, university infrastructure, policies and procedures.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Each applicant is required to provide (as attachments to the online application) the following supplemental documents: (1) letter providing some detail of the applicant’s qualifications and interest in the position; (2) current resume/CV; (3) the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references. If you are unable to attach the supplemental materials to the online application please contact Human Resources for assistance.
For inquiries and additional information, please contact: Human Resource Services via email at [email protected] or by phone at (541)552-8553
- Must be willing to travel and attend training programs off-site for occasional professional development.
- Must be able to work additional hours and adjust working hours to meet special jobs. May be called back periodically to perform work as needed on an emergency basis.
- Must be able to successfully pass a pre-employment background check.
- Under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA ):
- Position classification defined as “exempt” are not subject overtime
- Position classifications defined as “non exempt” *are *subject to overtime
- The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the Oregon Revised Statues and is required to comply with the requirements set forth by the Oregon department of Human Services.
Notice to Prospective Employees
Section 485 of the Higher Education Act, and The Federal Crime Awareness and Campus Security Act of 1990 (now referred to as the “Clery Act”),requires that prospective employees be notified of the availability of SOU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report. The report provides the annual statistics and campus policies for the reporting of and responding to campus crimes and fires; access to campus facilities; conduct code and campus policies on use, possession and sale of drugs/alcohol; and educational/information programs to inform the campus community about campus security procedures and crime prevention.
An electronic copy of the Annual Security Report (ASR )can be accessed at the following link: https://inside.sou.edu/assets/security/AnnualCrimeReportFinal.pdf. A physical copy of the ASR is available at no charge upon request. To request a copy please visit the Campus Public Safety Office at 382 Wightman Street, Ashland OR 97520. For more information call 541-552-6258, or email [email protected]
All applicants must apply online at https://apptrkr.com/1492126.
Southern Oregon University is a welcoming community committed to inclusive excellence and the celebration of diversity. Without diversity, our educational process is diminished. Working together in support of our commitment to diversity, we strengthen and enrich our role as learners, educators and members of a tightly connected global community. We encourage those who share in our commitment to diversity, to join our community and we expect all our employees to demonstrate an ability and desire to create an inclusive campus community.
Please click here to apply apptrkr.com.