Director of Direct Marketing
Southern Methodist UniversityDallas, TX
Reporting to the Sr. Executive Director of Annual Giving and Alumni Relations, the Director of Direct Marketing sets strategy, manages and executes a minimum of 8 comprehensive, centralized multi-channel communication and solicitation campaigns for alumni, parents, faculty/staff, students and friends annually.
Oversee all direct marketing and annual giving stewardship programs, including setting the strategy for a minimum of 8 direct marketing campaigns, producing all aspects of the scripting and creative elements, coordinating data acquisition from campus partners, submitting and auditing lists, coordinating with outside vendors for mass production and distribution, and analyzing results of each campaign. Each campaign consists of a series of mail solicitations, telephone communications and digital communications with up to 80 mail segments per marketing effort and multiple email iterations for audiences up to 80,000.
Coordinate and orchestrate with DEA departments for all mass marketing needs that cultivate, solicit and steward prospective donors. Serve as primary liaison for all DEA marketing clients across seven schools, athletics, student affairs, CUL, provost’s office, etc. to ensure direct marketing objectives are met and executed centrally. Set strategy for the seamless coordination of multi-faceted school/unit/project based campaigns that solicit for general and/or area-specific priorities & facilitate adequate donor migration through effective annual giving stewardship efforts. Orchestrate and manage direct marketing calendar of over 500 annual communications with school/units. Collaborate with other DEA colleagues to develop and execute select high profile communications for a variety of clients, including the OVP Office.
Manage all external vendors responsible for executing daily operations of DEA’s telemarketing and direct mail efforts, including online (BBIS/MailChimp), mailhouses (MCR), telemarketing vendors (RNL) and others. Coordinate and gain approval of contracts, jointly develop strategies and tactics with the vendors, set performance targets for reaching goals, and ensure optimal performance and ROI from all vendors through review, audit and analysis.
Collaborate with Alumni Data manager and Data Management Services staff to develop and automate tracking reports and other tasks that support process development and enhance program effectiveness. Report on direct mail, phone and e-solicitation progress and results.Track and report effectiveness of appeals and solicitation efforts and use this information to inform future strategies in support of the goals of enhancing operational support to $50M+ annually and maintaining 24% alumni participation annually.
Develop one-day and multi-week giving challenges, including gathering appropriate data to facilitate project generation and approval. Collaborate with gifts administration, emarketing and development services to ensure project execution. Coordinate and market multiple projects within each challenge, including all sectors of the university. Oversee intensive communication strategy. Develop toolkits that schools and units utilize to generate support from their spheres of influence for campaigns.
Manage three Direct Marketing staff including asst. directors that manage telemarketing (with a 40-person call center), digital communications, special school/unit marketing projects and annual giving stewardship and retention efforts.
Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree is required.
- A minimum of three years of professional work experience is required. Experience in project and/or process management is also required. Work experience requiring effective writing, proofing and editing skills is preferred. Knowledge and skills with direct mail execution is desirable.
- Experience in non-profit development office is preferred. Vendor management is a plus. Familiarity with direct marketing practices and techniques, including test strategies, segmentation strategies, and measurement of results is desirable.
- Experience producing and executing large scale/comprehensive mailings (50K+ constituents) is desirable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Candidate must demonstrate strong verbal and interpersonal communications skills to effectively interact with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community. Must also demonstrate a strong customer service orientation.
- Candidate must demonstrate strong written communication skills with ability to produce error-free written communications A strong focus on attention to detail is essential.
- Candidate must possess strong time management, organizational and planning skills with the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment. Must also possess strong problem solving skills with the ability to be resourceful, proactive, and seek assistance as needed.
- Strong project management skills and the ability to work independently are essential. Analytical skills and strategic planning are required, as well as the ability to execute all campaigns developed as part of defined strategy.
- Candidate must have a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Word, MS Excel at an advanced level, and spelling & grammar. A working knowledge of MS Outlook is essential. Experience with databases (particularly with fundraising databases) is preferred.
- HTML and webpage editing software (e.g. Dreamweaver) and Adobe Design Suite is desirable. Familiarity with Ruffalo Noel Levitz, Blackbaud Enterprise, as well as experience with phone and email vendors (e.g. MailChimp, Ruffalo Noel Levitz) is a plus.
- Candidate must provide cover letter for full consideration.
SMU will not discriminate in any program or activity on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity and expression. The Executive Director for Access and Equity/Title IX Coordinator is designated to handle inquiries regarding nondiscrimination policies and may be reached at the Perkins Administration Building, Room 204, 6425 Boaz Lane, Dallas, TX 75205, 214-768-3601, [email protected].
Please click here to apply smu.taleo.net.
- Next s