Associate Vice President for Alumni Outreach and Annual Philanthropy Division of Institutional Advancement
Southern Connecticut State UniversityAnywhere
Southern Connecticut State University is a diverse and student-centered university dedicated to academic excellence, access, and service for the public good. Southern provides a supportive and welcoming environment for all members of its community through a campus wide commitment to social justice.
Founded as a teachers college in 1893, Southern has evolved over the past century into a comprehensive public university of more than 10,000 students, offering graduate and undergraduate programs in the liberal arts and professional disciplines. It is one of four universities in the Connecticut State Colleges and Universities System. The University is located in New Haven, a city rich with arts and culture, and less than 90 miles from New York City and 140 miles from Boston
Reporting to the Vice President for Institutional Advancement (VPIA), the Associate Vice President for Alumni Outreach and Annual Philanthropy (AVP AOAP) will manage the day-to-day operations of the University’s broad-based outreach and fundraising efforts (including alumni relations, annual giving, and donor relations) and will coordinate with IA leadership on analyzing and improving constituent data systems. The associate vice president serves as a senior advisor to the VPIA. An important element of this position is the development and oversight of a comprehensive donor relations program, directing the creation and management of systems that foster relationships (both internal and external), encourage engagement and generate philanthropic support. The AVP AOAP will have the authority to represent the VPIA both internally and externally to campus as designated.
Description of Duties and Responsibilities:
- Effectively collaborates with the VPIA in the planning, development, and implementation of outreach and development aspects of the Institutional Advancement (IA) Division.
- Assists with the day-to-day management and operations of Institutional Advancement and collaborates with other advancement and development leaders as directed by the VPIA.
- Works with the VPIA to set overall goals for annual giving and alumni outreach.
- Monitors progress and effectiveness of the annual fund and special projects.
- Plans, coordinates, and implements cultivation and solicitation schedules for all broad-based fundraising and outreach efforts. This will include: goal-setting, monitoring progress toward goals, evaluation/assessment, preparing proposals as necessary, chairing and staffing volunteer committees for specific projects, and supporting the VPIA and President as needed.
- Manages the cultivation and solicitation of selected prospective and major donors.
- Supervises, mentors, and leads alumni relations staff and is responsible for alumni programming strategies and operations.
- Supervises, mentors, and leads annual giving and donor relations staff and is responsible for overall programming strategies and operations in this area.
- Serves as primary staff liaison with the SCSU Alumni Association Board of Directors.
- Frequently interfaces with Student Affairs staff to effectively engage current students in the development mission. The ability to conceive and operationalize innovate strategies is expected.
- Along with the VPIA and Senior Advancement leadership, collaborates in the development and implementation of prospect strategies for achieving established divisional goals. Prepares and analyzes materials for the development of such strategies and required reporting.
- In collaboration with the VPIA and working with university leadership, analyzes program ideas, develops concepts into new programs, and reimagines existing programs to meet funding source requirements to address university-wide, annual, and unrestricted program needs.
- Collaborates with the SCSU webmaster and other Integrated Communications & Marketing (ICM) team members to maximize interactions through our website, social media, email, and other communication mediums.
- Leads in the implementation of new programs informed by data analysis, alumni survey data, and as set in the IA strategic plan. Collaboration with the IA Advancement Services team will support these efforts.
- Works with faculty, administrators, and students to advance IA initiatives.
- Represents the VPIA and Institutional Advancement at on and off-campus meetings, seminars, and functions as required.
- Communicates effectively with the VPIA, other division directors, staff, volunteers, and other on/off-campus personnel, constituents, or representatives as specified by the VPIA.
- Participates in the strategic planning process.
- Performs other essential duties and tasks of the office as required.
- B.A./B.S. Degree required; Master’s Degree preferred. A career pattern that displays increasing levels of skill attainment and responsibility. A minimum of 5-8 years of experience in college or university advancement or comparable business experience is required.
- Individuals must possess these knowledge, skills, and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job.
- Demonstrates clear understanding of the mission of Southern Connecticut State University.
- Advanced knowledge and skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and the ability to quickly learn software databases.
- Strong oral and written communications skills; ability to read, analyze, and interpret reports and other documents, ability to respond to common inquiries from internal and external constituents; ability to effectively present oral and written information to top management.
- Ability to make management decisions on confidential matters.
- Ability to use independent judgment to manage and impart confidential information.
- Ability to research and resolve office management problems and questions.
- Ability to organize workflow and coordinate activities.
- Ability and willingness to update skills on a continual basis.
- A strong working knowledge of donor Customer Relations Management (CRM) software is required; experience with Raisers Edge database system will be considered a significant plus.
- Broad based knowledge of educational fundraising.
Applications and Nominations:
For full consideration interested candidates are invited to submit a letter of interest, resume and a minimum of (3) professional references by December 3, 2018 to: Dr. Craig Hlavac, Chair, Search Committee, c/o Ms. Norma Valentin, Administrative Assistant to the Executive Vice President, AVP for Alumni Outreach and Annual Philanthropy, Southern Connecticut State University, 501 Crescent Street, New Haven, CT 06515. Email: [email protected]
Position will remain open until filled.
Questions regarding the search should be directed to Dr. Craig Hlavac (Search Chairperson) at [email protected].
SCSU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer. The University seeks to enhance the diversity of its faculty and staff. People of color, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to ValentinN1@SouthernCT.edu
- Next s