Assistant Director for Direct Marketing Communications
The Assistant Director for Direct Marketing Communications is responsible for developing, executing and analyzing various direct marketing communications with the goals of increasing operational giving, maintaining the annual alumni participation giving rate and increasing engagement for multiple constituencies through various interactions with the University.
Engaging in strategic process management with campus clients, this position ensures consistent messaging across multiple channels and projects as well as timely, accurate and coordinated communications critical to informing alumni, parents and friends of opportunities to participate in University events and solicitation efforts.
The Assistant Director, Direct Marketing Communications reports to the Director of Direct Marketing and is part of the Annual Giving team within Development and External Affairs.
- Marketing Execution: Create and execute communications for a variety of channels, including email, mail and social media. Process involves the development of key client deliverables, which include, but are not limited to, receiving direction from clients, designing communications (i.e., mail/email) within templates, working with external vendors for mail execution, setting up emails in email provider’s system, sending tests and receiving approval from clients to ensure information is correct, providing/uploading lists, scheduling mail or email sends and deploying emails.
- Strategic and Process Management: Set project deadlines for direct marketing campaigns. Update shared files containing final communication data (i.e., emails, mailings), project summary sheets and samples for email campaigns; document all processes. Update shared project management software to reflect project status for client management. Provide strategic input on ways to improve current processes, etc.
- Creative: Work with Integrated Marketing team to ensure communications (mail and email) meet University Editorial and Integrated E-Marketing Style Guide standards. Write or collaborate with team members on copy generation and proofreading, provide design recommendations and feedback on layouts and modify existing email templates using HTML, if needed. Provide feedback and recommendations on web content and design, making routine updates on web forms and general sites as needed.
- Data Integrity: Request and obtain constituent data for multi-channel communications (particularly mail and email). Format lists to meet requirements of provider (mail or email), and upload files to providers’ online accounts. Communicate with SMU Records department and other campus partners for unsubscribes, non-deliverable mail, and other records updates obtained from marketing efforts.
- Quality Control/Marketing Data: Perform data quality checks and audits for routine web and social media communications, including online registration pages and registration links. Coordinate with campus partners and Annual Giving team to ensure appropriate messaging and timing amongst all emails and any corresponding direct mail pieces, as needed. Track and report on managed direct marketing campaigns to share effectiveness with clients and department leads, including email open rates, click-through rates, gifts generated, site analytics and other available statistics.
- Online Communications/Marketing: Serve as liaison for Integrated Marketing team for general website updates for alumni, parent, friends, faculty/staff and students. In addition, assist in providing daily maintenance for Annual Giving and Alumni Relations websites, including updating website content and online registration forms, alumni event and programming information and alumni board and volunteer information.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in Marketing.
- A minimum of three years of work experience managing/executing direct marketing campaigns is required. Work experience in a position requiring strong project management, writing, editing and proofreading skills is also required.
- Vendor management experience is a plus. Experience in a development office, non-profit environment or higher education is a plus. Microsoft certification a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Candidate must demonstrate strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills with the ability to build relationships with a wide range of constituencies. Must also demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively in writing. A strong focus on attention to detail is essential.
- Candidate must possess strong organizational, planning and time management skills with the ability to handle multiple projects at a time. Must also demonstrate the ability to work in a fast-paced team environment that is deadline driven. Strong project management skills are essential.
- Candidate must have strong analytical and strategic skills to effectively manage marketing campaigns as part of the overall strategic direct marketing plan. Strong problem solving skills with the ability to identify, analyze problems and devise solutions are essential.
- Candidate who possess a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Work experience that includes working with email providers such as MailChimp, is required. Experience using HTML and webpage editing software such as Dreamweaver, and some Adobe Design Suite is strongly preferred. Familiarity working with constituent relationship management system (e.g. Raiser’s Edge, Blackbaud CRM) is highly desirable.
Physical/Environmental Demands: Sit for long periods of time
Deadline to Apply: March 16, 2018. Priority consideration may be given to submissions received by March 9, 2018.
SMU will not discriminate in any program or activity on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity and expression. The Executive Director for Access and Equity/Title IX Coordinator is designated to handle inquiries regarding nondiscrimination policies and may be reached at the Perkins Administration Building, Room 204, 6425 Boaz Lane, Dallas, TX 75205, 214-768-3601, [email protected]
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Next s