Major Gift Officer
Posted on 05/18/2017
Ohio Wesleyan UniversityDelaware, OH
Ohio Wesleyan University is a selective, private, undergraduate liberal arts, residential institution founded in 1842 and is located just 20 miles north of Columbus. The University’s Advancement Division seeks applications for a Major Gift Officer focusing on the Northeast and New York City area for University Advancement. Reporting to the Director of Major Gifts, the Major Gift Officer will be responsible for identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding prospects and donors with a gift capacity of $100K or more.
Gift Officers are assigned a specific territory and work within a team of seven, in addition to working with the Annual Giving Program Team and the Gift Planning Program Team. All Major Gift Officers are expected to meet or exceed metrics which are calibrated annually. This role requires significant travel.
Candidates must demonstrate the ability to handle confidential information with discretion. Well developed interpersonal communication skills and a focus on customer service are a must for serving as a liaison with individuals from all constituencies including trustees, donors, alumni, parents, faculty, students and staff. The successful candidate must be able to work independently and as part of a team, be highly motivated and take a proactive approach to his or her work.
- Identify, qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward gifts of at least $100,000 from prospects and donors. Significant travel for face-to-face meetings is
- Manage a portfolio of approximately 125 donors within a specific territory.
- Work with team members from annual giving, planned giving, reunion program and the alumni relations teams in order to maximize prospect and donor relationships with Ohio Wesleyan University.
- Represent the University at various events in the major gift officer’s territory as well as on campus.
- Manage information documentation in a timely and accurate manner. Manage time and budget.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree. Master’s degree or CFRE preferred.
- At least five years of related experience preferred, preferably in higher education fundraising or related
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Work style must be that of a self-starter, multi-tasking, and organized, detail
- Must possess the ability to interact well with diverse personalities through e-mail, phone and in
- Must possess the willingness to be flexible to support the mission, goals and objectives of the
- Be able to articulate the value of a liberal arts education in general and the importance of Ohio Wesleyan University in particular.
- Must be willing and able to travel via airplane and automobile.
- Previous experience with Raiser’s Edge or other Blackbuad database system.
- Significant familiarity with Ohio Wesleyan University or other liberal arts institutions a plus.
Completed application packets will include:
- Cover Letter with salary requirements,
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- The names, titles, & contact information for three professional references.
Please email application materials to: [email protected]
Application review will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.
Ohio Wesleyan University is strongly committed to diversity within its community and encourages all interested applicants, including women and minorities to apply (EEOE).
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://www.owu.edu/about/offices-services/human-resources/prospective-employees/job-listings/major-gift-officer/ →
- Next s