Director of Development
New York Law SchoolNew York, NY
New York Law School is seeking a senior member of the Law School’s Office for Institutional Advancement. The Director of Development (the “Director”) will support the Vice President and Chief Development Officer (the “Vice President”) and the Dean and President in their institutional advancement activities. The Director has a key role in driving progress toward achievement of the Law School’s strategic priorities and in building a high-performing fundraising and development function that contributes to the success of the Law School.
The Director’s primary focus is to secure financial and other forms of support for the Law School by building and sustaining relationships between NYLS and members of the NYLS community and through the cultivation, solicitation, stewardship, and engagement of donors. The Director assists the Vice President in managing the Law School’s fundraising operations and the Department’s advancement activities and operations generally. The role involves considerable contact with all levels of the administration, faculty, staff, students, the Board of Trustees, the Alumni Association and other key internal and external Law School constituencies.
The Director applies a proactive, collaborative, and entrepreneurial approach to the below duties and responsibilities, and models the highest standards of professionalism and client service.
Work with the Vice President to create and implement a strategic approach to fundraising across the Law School involving all types of individual, corporate and institutional gifts and grants, as well as sponsorships and partnerships. This includes the following:
- Identify prospects and giving opportunities, and work with the Vice President, Dean and others to develop and implement strategies to secure support.
- Establish and build relationships that result in gifts and other support, including through one-on-one outreach, as well as a variety of cultivation activities and events.
- Develop and implement giving programs and events targeting key donor and constituent groups. Create and manage sponsorship and partnership opportunities.
- Plan and execute fundraising events, including the annual Gala and scholarship benefit, and develop new events, activities and platforms.
- Ensure coordination between the Law School’s fundraising and alumni engagement activities, including those organized by the Department and other constituencies.
- Work with the Marketing Department to develop collateral and communications that support fundraising strategies.
- Collaborate with and serve as a resource for other departments/offices, centers/institutes, and constituencies with respect to fundraising and development.
- Help to develop and implement strategies that create a culture of giving.
- Monitor, evaluate and report on NYLS fundraising activities and trends. Monitor broader giving trends and best practices and adapt NYLS fundraising activities as appropriate.
Donor Relations and Stewardship
Work with the Vice President to develop and implement donor relations and stewardship strategies to ensure that donors experience high-quality interactions with the Law School that foster long-term engagement and increased investment in the success of the Law School. This includes timely and accurate gift acceptance, processing and management; meaningful acknowledgement and recognition programs (e.g., gratitude communications, special events and other benefits); reporting that demonstrates the impact of donors’ gifts; and responsiveness to donor inquiries.
Other Advancement Responsibilities
The Director will perform other duties and manage special projects as assigned by the Vice President, such as the following:
- Assist the Vice President in preparing, implementing, and reporting progress against the Law School’s annual strategic plan.
- Identify emerging issues in law and policy in areas of strategic importance to the Law School and, in turn, identify fundraising and advancement opportunities.
- Manage projects that facilitate the Vice President’s and the Dean’s institutional work on behalf of NYLS.
- Represent the Law School on internal or external committees, task forces, and working groups.
Manage the fundraising staff and operations, and assist in managing the Department generally. This includes the following:
- Supervise staff to ensure work is carried out in a timely, efficient, effective and professional manner. Responsible for the team’s professional development.
- Oversee the Department’s fundraising and donor recordkeeping, including in Raiser’s Edge.
- Develop and maintain relevant policies and procedures, and monitor compliance.
- Identify and implement solutions for increasing the effectiveness and efficiency of the fundraising function and Department.
Skills, Experience and Other Requirements:
The ability to articulate the value of a New York Law School education and what it means to be “New York’s Law School” are critical to success in this role. Other capabilities and attributes include the following:
- D. preferred, B.A. required.
- Three to five years of relevant and diverse experience.
- Demonstrated successful experience in relationship-building, solicitation and stewardship.
- Experience with the greater NYC legal, business and civic communities, and an understanding of the legal profession and higher legal education environment highly desired.
- Goal-oriented and proactive with a positive, can-do attitude and collaborative working style. Applies a client service mindset to all activities. Fosters the same in others.
- Ability to work within a broad strategic framework, with ability to lead, supervise, execute, and activities that drive progress accordingly.
- Problem-solver and critical thinker with attention to detail and excellent
- Exceptional interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills, with ability to build relationships and communicate with diverse audiences.
- Ability to synthesize and present information in a way that is tailored to the needs of the intended audience, compelling and actionable.
- Ability to build relationships that enhance individual, Department and institutional effectiveness.
- Ability to work independently and on a team. Strong project management and organizational skills, and to effectively utilize available resources to achieve objectives.
- Experience with MS Office suite and with donor or CRM or similar databases.
- Ability to train, supervise, coach, motivate, engage, and get positive results out of team members.
- Takes initiative in own professional development, including proactively identifying training needs and opportunities, and soliciting and incorporating feedback about performance for self and team members.
- Willingness to travel as needed.
About New York Law School
Founded in 1891, New York Law School (NYLS) is an independent law school located in the heart of New York City’s legal, government, financial, and emerging tech centers. Known as “New York’s law school,” NYLS embraces the city as its classroom by complementing a rigorous legal education with an innovative and diverse set of “uniquely New York” experiential learning opportunities. Since opening its doors, NYLS has produced graduates who have gone on to hold high elected and appointed office in the city, lead large and small firms, and gain broad recognition as captains of business and industry. Its renowned faculty of prolific scholars has built the School’s strength in key areas of the law, including business and finance; intellectual property, media, technology, and applied sciences; and government and public interest. NYLS has more than 18,000 graduates and currently enrolls more than 900 students in its J.D. programs. The School also offers an advanced-degree program in Tax Law.
How to Apply
Candidates should send a cover letter along with your salary requirements, resume, and completed job application to [email protected]. The application may be obtained at www.nyls.edu under About the School – Employment Opportunities at NYLS – New York Law School Employment Application.
New York Law School is an Equal Opportunity Employer
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
- Next s