Director of Institutional Advancement
Musical Instrument MuseumPhoenix, AZ
The Mission of MIM:
The Musical Instrument Museum (MIM) enriches our world by collecting, preserving, and making accessible an astonishing variety of musical instruments and performance videos from every country in the world. MIM offers guests a welcoming and fun experience, incomparable interactive technology, dynamic programming, and exceptional musical performances. MIM fosters appreciation of the world’s diverse cultures by showing how we innovate, adapt, and learn from each other to create music—the language of the soul.
Position Summary: Reporting to the Executive Director, this key position is part of MIM’s senior leadership team and is responsible for representing MIM to the museum and cultural community, and for meeting ambitious contributed revenue goals through a comprehensive giving program of annual, major, institutional, and planned giving. The Director of Institutional Advancement will be responsible to fundraise both for MIM’s endowment, exhibitions, theater performances, programming, acquisitions, and general operations. Joining the MIM Team means advocating for and assisting in achieving long-term sustainability of a premiere cultural destination with a national and international reputation. As MIM approaches its eighth year of operation, it is an exciting and pivotal moment in the museum’s history. This role presents a unique opportunity for an accomplished fundraising professional to join a world-class organization and exceptionally talented team focused on advancing the mission of MIM for future generations.
Highly competitive compensation and benefits package commensurate with requisite skills and qualifications.
- Advance the mission, vision and short- and long-term goals of the Musical Instrument Museum
- Serve as an exemplary advocate in the community, with local leaders, museum colleagues, business and corporate partners, and other leaders and key constituents.
- Be active and involved in the advancement profession and represent MIM in its Arizona communities, as well as national and international venues, as appropriate.
- Fundraising Activities
Develop, execute, and manage annual and long-range plans to meet specific fundraising goals, objectives, and timelines.
- As a strategic partner to the Executive Director to create a strategic roadmap and action plan for fundraising that includes key targets within individual, major, corporate, foundation, and planned giving constituencies.
- Meet or exceed ambitious annual fundraising goals.
- Maintain a dynamic portfolio of high net worth donors and secure major gifts and grants, performing to or exceed agreed-upon metrics.
- Identify, cultivate, plan, and participate in major donor cultivation and solicitation, strategically activating senior leadership, curators, and MIM’s Founder as appropriate.
- Develop moves management system and key reporting metrics to drive and monitor MIM’s philanthropic activity, in addition to providing related analysis and reporting to senior leadership and MIM’s Board.
- Secure corporate sponsorships for events, theater performances, exhibits, and other opportunities that include MIM’s key assets.
- Build and sustain Legacy Giving Program, including development of metrics and reporting.
- Chair and oversee the activities of the Institutional Advancement committee that includes board and advisory board members.
- Develop and contribute to grant proposals and sponsorship requests as needed.
- Recruit, train, and motivate a team of fundraising professionals to support Institutional Advancement goals.
- Oversee donor stewardship activities, including recognition, phone calls, gift acknowledgments, pledge agreements, notifications, naming signage, and lists.
- Chair, organize, and manage the activities of the Institutional Advancement committee with board and advisory board members, including quarterly conference calls.
- Prepare and present reports of institutional advancement activities and accomplishments for the board of directors, MIM’s Advisory board, and internal leadership meetings.
- Project MIM’s annual contributed income and departmental expenses during budget planning and track actuals throughout the year.
- Develop fundraising policies and best practices that ensure appropriate engagement and acknowledgement of gifts at all levels.
- Prepare remarks, letters, and proposals on behalf of the Executive Director as appropriate.
- Participate in the development of future strategic operating and capital plans with the Executive Director and senior leadership.
- Create and develop advancement-related collateral materials with the marketing manager (including annual donor report and membership brochures), website content, and e-communications.
- Organize and lead efforts to create a culture of philanthropy with MIM team, Volunteer Team Members, Board and Advisory Board, and Institutional Advancement committee.
- Identify and work collaboratively with various teams to execute fundraising and donor cultivation event opportunities, such as exhibition openings, museum tours, fundraising luncheons, concert previews, and other donor related events.
- Represent and advance MIM in the community at speaking engagements and events.
- Identify fundraising and donor stewardship event opportunities, and collaborate with MIM’s internal events team to plan and execute advancement-related events.
- Minimum 10-15 years in a fundraising capacity with proven success in meeting goals and motivating a talented team of fundraising professionals.
- Undergraduate required; Master’s degree desirable; Additional certifications a plus
- Demonstrated record of exceptional leadership and management of at least one capital campaign, including direct experience in obtaining outright gifts of $1 million or more
- In depth understanding and competency with financial targets and budget goals; incorporates financial analysis into strategic decisions.
- Experience using accountability metrics both for IAD in addition to IA team.
- Adept at working collaboratively within a team environment, creating a culture of inclusiveness as well as accountability.
- Experience developing high-level strategies to achieve organizational goals while providing guidance to the advancement team on tactical approaches for success; Ability to analyze market and identify external threats and opportunities and adapting strategy to changing conditions. Ability to problem solve, work independently, and excel in a high-performance culture.
- Excellent presentation, as well as verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to convey MIM’s mission and its value to the world community to various groups and potential donors
- Positive attitude with a comprehensive understanding and appreciation for stewardship
Please click here to apply workforcenow.adp.com.
- Next s