Director of Annual Giving
Furman UniversityGreenville, SC
The Director of Annual Giving provides leadership for creating, implementing and evaluating a year-round fundraising program whose purpose is to build a long-term base of support for Furman University. The fundraising plan will include goals, strategies, and programming that aim to build and engage our constituencies based upon industry best practices and in concert with the Furman culture.
- Lead Furman’s annual giving program that raises approximately $5MM annually in support of University operations.
- Lead and execute Furman’s annual giving fundraising plan, utilizing a comprehensive strategy to meet or exceed stated goals.
- Create and manage a multidimensional appeal schedule that utilizes a variety of mediums (i.e. electronic solicitation, direct mail appeals, telemarketing and face-to-face solicitations) to communicate with potential and current donors.
- Partner with Office of University Communications to produce written and digital communication and solicitation pieces and use the Furman Magazine and other global communication strategies to inform and educate prospective donors.
- Coordinate, manage, and assess all direct-response fundraising efforts for annual giving, special projects and campaigns including all aspects of Dins Day and Giving Tuesday. Work across Development functions to execute integrated multi-channel strategies, utilizing targeted messaging, audience segmentation, and crowd-funding techniques.
- Perform data analysis related to all aspects of the annual giving program. Use statistics to evaluate current annual programs to make recommendations for ongoing solicitations.
- The Director will track responses and monitor results as well as identify target groups for customized solicitations.
- Working with annual giving team oversee all special appeals and reunion giving.
- Oversee active web, and social media, and communities for Furman alumni, parents, and friends.
- Provide communications support for alumni and parent programs such as Homecoming, Family Weekend, reunions, career events, and regional activities.
- Maintains the communications calendar for the Office of Development overseeing all electronic solicitation, event invitations and newsletter timing.
- Manage a team of 3-5 people and overall division budget.
- Consult with faculty and staff on occasion to devise alumni communication and fundraising
- Serve on executive leadership team for the Development Department and take on committee assignments across campus as well.
- Daily contact with members of own work unit and serve as immediate supervisor for department to plan, coordinate, problem solve, and present information.
- Occasional contact with professional peers at other institutions to exchange trends and strategies in annual giving fundraising efforts.
Responsibilities for Final Decisions
- Tasks involve multiple procedures with interrelated processes or steps. Work involves choosing the appropriate option or procedure to follow and applying established rules and procedures.
- Errors are detected within the division, and may affect the work of others within the unit to trace errors and make corrections.
Reports to Associate Vice President for Development
- Work is performed independently except where the interpretation of law, policy, rule, complex procedures or request for exception is required.
- Works closely with other staff in the department as well as members of the Office of University Communications.
- Bachelor’s Degree with 5+ years of experience in related field. Excellent communications and writing skills.
- Creative problem solver and strategic thinker.
- Expertise in project management and leading cross-functional teams. Analytical and data-driven.
- Experience managing a small team. Experience creating and managing websites.
- Experience managing direct marketing efforts such as mail, telemarketing, digital marketing and social media.
- Proficiency in working in CRM systems.
- Experience with production management in working with designers, printers, web and fulfillment vendors.
Work is performed under usual office conditions.
Please click here to apply furman.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com.