Major Gifts Data Associate
EarthjusticeSan Francisco, CA
Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Chicago, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
The Major Gifts Data Associate reports to the Operations Program Manager on the Major Gifts team. This position coordinates the Major Gifts team’s portfolio management activities for the organization’s most generous donors. This includes the updating and tracking of donor solicitations, budgeting, and revenue within the database, ensuring vital reports and other performance data are accurate and sent to the team regularly, as well as maintaining and auditing the team’s donor moves management information used to track team progress. Additionally, s/he assists the gifts officers with prospecting data, financial documentation for donors, and managing various qualification processes.
This position requires a selfstarter who is able to work both collaboratively and independently, think critically and make decisions, and possesses strong interpersonal skills. The position requires excellent analytical skills, diplomacy, the ability to adapt, communicate effectively, and creatively problem solve. The Major Gifts Data Associate must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously, meet deadlines, and be highly detail oriented. A variety of administrative tasks, including meeting logistics, scheduling, and operational writing will be required.
Portfolio Management and Reporting (80%)
- Coordinate unique agendas and execute bi-monthly Portfolio Management Meeting activities for entire Major Gifts team (14 officers)
- Coordinate monthly Donor Progress Meetings with the Major Gifts Director and provide data in advance of the meetings
- Manage team’s system of tracking Moves Management, developing baseline numbers, and ensuring fundraisers are following policy and procedure
- Track and reconcile team’s solicitations, budget, and revenue within the database and provide data and reports to team
- In partnership with Operations Program Manager, support team’s budgeting efforts and compile quarterly and annual metrics to measure team’s progress towards work plan
- Manage team’s Qualification process, including providing prospect lists to fundraisers, tracking progress on prospects, and reassessing former prospects
- Work with Development Operations to ensure donor plans are created and closed properly at the beginning and close of each fiscal year for 500-1,000 donors
- Coordinate data hygiene projects to ensure donor information is reflected accurately in donor database
- Ensure team systems and tools are used effectively and that project execution is done accurately and in accordance with all adopted departmental and organizational policies and procedures.
Financial Documentation for Donors (10%)
- Coordinate with Fundraisers and Finance department in the creation of donor requested financial reports, budgets, and other documentation whilst managing the tracking of deadlines for these reports across the whole team
- Work with Finance Department to create programmatic budgets to support fundraisers in their donor strategy and solicitation activities
Other Responsibilities (10%)
- Serve as backup to other Major Gifts Systems team members during peak times or vacations, as needed
- Monitor team’s administrative inbox and respond to requests from fundraisers
- Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of three years’ relevant experience, or Associate’s degree plus a minimum of five years of relevant experience required.
- A minimum of three years’ experience in Development
- Exemplary organizational skills, including ability to handle multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and prioritize assignments.
- Meticulous attention to detail including excellent proofreading and copy-editing skills.
- Professional, positive, and approachable attitude. Ability to work and communicate with a diverse group of people, including Board members, donors, volunteers, the public, and staff. Ability to work as a team member as well as independently.
- Solid knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Database management skills required with ability to create queries, produce reports, and to use advanced functions, including sophisticated knowledge of the Internet.
- Basic understanding of financial reporting and terminology as it pertains to fundraising.
- Strong demonstrated knowledge of a constituent relationship management (CRM) system or similar donor database, such as the Raiser’s Edge.
- Ability to think analytically and strategically.
- Ability to use discretion and diplomacy in dealing with donors, Board members, and colleagues and in handling confidential information.
- Sense of humor desired.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
Salary is based on experience and location.
Salary range in San Francisco, CA: $55,700 – $61,900
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume online via the Jobvite system.
Please, no phone calls, hard copies, or drop-ins. If you’re having technical difficulties submitting your application, reach out to [email protected]
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.
To apply for this job please visit www.Click2Apply.net.