Director of the Bryant Fund
Posted on 09/13/2018
Bryant UniversitySmithfield, RI
This position is responsible for implementing and overseeing a comprehensive annual giving program for Bryant University. Working with senior management, the Director the Bryant Fund will advance the annual giving program to meet aggressive goals with an emphasis on increasing undergraduate alumni participation, and increasing unrestricted and total income. The Director of the Bryant Fund will develop an integrated marketing program using digital and other appropriate solicitation methods for each constituency to raise current operating support. S/he will recruit, implement and oversee a volunteer network that will assist in this effort. This position will also have supervisory responsibilities. S/he will remain up to date on national trends in annual giving and make necessary recommendations to implement strategic initiatives that address those trends.
Nature and Scope:
The position reports to the Executive Director of Development. The Director of the Bryant Fund will supervise an assigned annual giving staff of three.
The Director of the Bryant Fund is responsible for securing support for current operations of Bryant University. Focusing on gifts up to $25,000, the Director oversees programs that integrate data analytics, innovative marketing methodology and solicitation methods to maximize participation in the Bryant Fund and solidify a core of leadership annual giving donors.
S/he must be highly organized; be able to think strategically, but manage with an attention to detail. S/he must possess a strong background in digital and social media marketing as well as traditional marketing methods and be able to apply these principles within a development setting to secure philanthropic support from key University constituencies. S/he must have strong written and oral communication skills. S/he must serve as a liaison between potential contributors and Bryant representatives, creating meaningful ties between the prospect and the University that will lead him or her to make a financial commitment to Bryant University.
Strategic Planning/ Integrated Marketing Program Development:
- Working collaboratively with senior management and other Division partners, the Director of the Bryant Fund develops a comprehensive marketing and solicitation plan for all targeted constituencies. S/he works with annual giving staff, internal and external writers, designers and other vendors/consultants to create marketing pieces, scripts, or other materials to support the solicitation process for leadership giving, Telefund, direct mail, e-mail solicitations, crowdfunding, social media, and other annual giving programs.
Annual Giving Programs:
- Through personal efforts and that of assigned staff, the Director of the Bryant Fund will oversee all annual giving programs including: Bryant Fund (Telefund and direct mail), Crowdfunding, Giving Days, Campus Campaign, Senior Class gift, Black and Gold Annual Fund, Parent’s Fund, President’s Cup Golf Tournament, the Consecutive Giving Society, and the Bryant Leadership Council of Donors ($1,000+ donors).
- The Director is responsible for the tracking and reporting of progress within each of these vital annual giving program components. S/he works with the Executive Director of Development to determine goals and to track and report on programmatic performance through established mechanisms.
Annual Giving Staff Management:
- S/he will supervise an assigned annual fund staff of three ensuring that they are working collaboratively to achieve program goals and objectives, monitoring their activities and progress. S/he will work with Development colleagues to develop appropriate prospect strategies and will be a resource in routine prospect matters.
Prospect Strategy and Cultivation:
- The Director of the Bryant Fund meets regularly with the Executive Director of Development, prospect managers, and other partners within the Division to develop strategies for cultivation of potential donors. S/he regularly chronicles planned strategies and charts progress through written reports.
Collaborate with Development Colleagues:
- The Director of the Bryant Fund will work closely with the Vice President of University Advancement, Executive Director of Development, Director of Athletic Development, Director of Alumni and Parent Engagement, prospect managers, and other members of the Development and Advancement teams to coordinate strategic fundraising initiatives and campaigns in support of overall Bryant Fund and University Advancement goals. S/he will work closely with the Director of Athletic Development to grow the Black & Gold Annual Fund and leadership giving.
Volunteer Recruitment and Management:
- The Director of the Bryant Fund will provide leadership in the recruitment and management of Bryant Fund volunteers. The Director of the Bryant Fund will identify potential volunteers based upon criteria developed through campaign planning, forwarding this information to the Vice President for University Advancement and Executive Director of Development for consideration. S/he will supervise assigned staff in support of volunteers for particular programs such as Bryant Giving Day, Senior Class Gift and Campus Campaign.
Participation in Cultivation Events:
- The Director of the Bryant Fund is available to staff or participate in any cultivation events deemed appropriate.
Training / Qualifications:
The position requires an undergraduate degree with at least 3-5 years of experience leading an annual giving program preferably in higher education and a familiarity with development in general. Excellent oral and written communications skills are required, as are highly developed organizational skills. Experience with digital and social media marketing and crowdfunding; writing fundraising appeals; working with data for planning and evaluation; strong interpersonal skills; and, the ability to build and maintain positive relationships with donors and members of the Bryant community are essential. Some travel is required.
Microsoft Access and Banner experience a plus.
- Work in close collaboration with senior management, Development and Annual Giving staff to create and implement a comprehensive, effective and innovative strategic plan to meet ambitious annual fundraising and participation goals. Priority goals include increasing undergraduate alumni participation and increasing unrestricted giving and total program giving.
- Strengthen and increase support of all Bryant Fund programs including Bryant Leadership Council of Donors, Campus Campaign, Senior Class Gift, President’s Cup Golf Tournament, Black and Gold Athletics, Parent’s Fund, Crowdfunding, Giving Tuesday, Bryant Giving Day, etc.
- Coordinate volunteer committee(s) to assist in the planning and execution of the annual President’s Cup Golf Tournament. This includes soliciting individuals and corporations for participation in the event both as golfing and non-golfing sponsors.
- Work with the Executive Director and the Development team to coordinate annual giving requests for other fundraising programs and initiatives, including the Wall Street Council, the Parents Council, Black & Gold Athletics, etc., and serve as a resource in routine prospect matters.
- Provide leadership in the recruitment and management of Bryant Fund campaign volunteers and supervise assigned staff in support of volunteers for specific programs including Senior Class Gift, Campus Campaign, and class giving/affinity fundraising efforts.
- Participate in discovery and cultivation events deemed appropriate.
- Effectively motivate and supervise assigned staff to work as a team in meeting division, and departmental goals, and ensuring that supervisory practices are in compliance with the spirit and intent of the University’s policy on diversity and EEO/AA guidelines.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Certain requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate persons with disabilities.
Qualified candidates should email a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the subject line: “Director of Bryant Fund”
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org