Brandeis UniversityWaltham, MA
Brandeis University – a distinguished private research university recognized for its academic excellence and leading-edge research – has an exciting opportunity for a talented and motivated Communications Specialist (Writer).
Located in the suburbs of Boston, a global hub for higher education and innovation, Brandeis is dedicated to first-rate undergraduate education while making groundbreaking discoveries. Established as a nonsectarian university in 1948 by members of the American Jewish community, our visionary founders shared a commitment to social justice and to making the world a better place.
Our founders’ pioneering spirit and intellectual pursuits continue today at Brandeis – from helping to solve a national public health crisis through work at its newly established Opioid Policy Research Collaborative, to the biological discoveries that last year earned two faculty members a Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine. We aspire to further such important endeavors and are looking to grow our team with individuals who share our passion and commitment. In preparation for its next ambitious campaign, Institutional Advancement (IA) seeks to strengthen the bonds with the University’s many constituencies. By working together, we will secure the financial resources necessary to continue the legacy of excellence in teaching, research, and scholarship at Brandeis.
The Communications Specialist is an integral part of the Institutional Advancement Communications team. He/she will write news stories, alumni features and donor profiles for websites and publications; assist with managing communications publications; edit mass communications; assist with digital content management; and perform other communications-related responsibilities, as needed
- Write news stories, alumni features and donor profiles for websites, publications and social media. Conduct interviews with high profile alumni and friends for stories.
- Assist with managing communications publications, including Brandeis Magazine (3 issues a year), LouieNews e-newsletter (12 issues a year) and Brandeis Today & Tomorrow (1 or 2 issues annually). Develop content strategy and outlines; create and edit content, collect and identify photos and captions; and manage approval process.
- Edit mass communications (such as solicitations and event invitations) from Institutional Advancement to ensure they conform to AP style and internal strategic messaging priorities.
- Assist with digital content management, including the alumni website and social media channels. Develop social media content strategy; schedule, post and update content and troubleshoot as needed.
- Other communications-related responsibilities, as needed, include coordinating with other departments such as the Office of Communications to ensure the university’s new brand platform is implemented across IA communications. Write memorial resolutions for university’s Board of Trustee meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree required, with a minimum of 3 years work-related experience; broad experience as a writer and editor are required.
- Demonstrated ability to develop content and write clearly, concisely and on deadline for a publication, website or other outlet with a general audience. Attention to detail and a working knowledge of AP Style.
- The successful candidate will have experience writing and editing a variety of communications: formal correspondence, profiles, feature stories, news stories and talking points for senior administrators.
- Passion for storytelling and digital media.
- Must be a detail-oriented, self-starter with an ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities to meet challenging timelines and deliver high-quality work end-products.
- Must be able and willing to work occasional evenings and weekends with an attitude of doing what it takes to get the job done.
How To Apply:
- Submit cover letter and resume as a single document at
http://www.brandeis.edu/humanresources/jobs/external.html. Elect option for “New Applicant”. Sort the job listing by clicking the Job ID column heading. Locate the desired job listing. Click the job title and then Apply Now.
Please click here to apply careers.brandeis.edu.
- Next s