Associate Director of Development, Annual Giving
American UniversityWashington, DC
The Associate Director of Development in the Office of Annual Giving serves as a leadership annual giving officer for American University. The Associate Director is responsible for achieving aggressive solicitation, commitment, qualification, cash, and visit goals, which are set annually. This position manages a prospect portfolio of at least 250 active prospects, including parents, alumni, and friends, with giving capacities from $10,000 to 100,000. The Associate Director is expected to personally manage these relationships to identify and qualify new prospects, cultivate, solicit, and close gifts, and steward donors.
In each of these capacities, the Associate Director will be required to collaborate with colleagues in Annual Giving, across each of the schools and colleges, and with other members of the central development team including close partners in Research, Prospect Management, Alumni Relations, and Donor Relations. The Associate Director is a resource and liaison to the schools, colleges, and units across campus and serves as a pipeline for unrestricted giving and major gift prospects.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited educational institution
- Five years of experience in development and alumni relations or another related field (such as sales, marketing, public relations, event management)
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills are required. (A writing sample may be required.)
- Ability to establish rapport and cultivate relationships with new and existing donors
- Maturity, ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a deadline-oriented environment
- Familiarity with fundraising systems (CRM Advance a plus) and strong command of MS Office Suite of products
Preferred Education and Experience
- Proven track record of successful project management, strong customer/client support is required; experience with volunteer management
- Experience with front-line fundraising
- Proficiency in current on-line and social media platforms (i.e. Facebook, LinkedIn), and e-communications strategies
- Experience in a higher education or communication-related environment
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Hiring offers for this position are contingent on successful completion of a background check
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log into AsuccessfulU through the myAU portal. Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
- This position will require travel outside the Washington metropolitan area 2-3 times per month, as well as occasional evening and weekend work associated with university events and programs
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Project Leader/Advisor B
- Commensurate with experience
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email [email protected].
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively “Protected Bases”) in its programs and activities.
To apply for this job please visit careers.american.edu.
- Next s